All over the world, the scarcity of water is rising. Simple scientific research shows threatening figures of total amount of water available for drinking. There are tonnes of things, which lead to pollution of pure water and as a result, we are left with little water which can be qualified as safe for drinking. Hence, there have been mane researches who are trying to find means of purifying water and making it edible. Harnessing the large ocean bodies and numerous lakes and rivers who carry water, but ones which are not drinkable directly. There are gadgets designed called ‘Water softeners’ who work on water to make it drinkable. The best water softener has many features to look for, but first let’s understand the need of this gadget in brief.
The Hardness and Softness of water
This term is somewhat ironic to be used with the fluid. The hardness of water actually mean the involvement of several metal compounds in water. Metals like Calcium, Magnesium and few others form compounds with elements in water, and get dissolved in water. They are, of course not preferred in drinking water, since they are very hard to digest and cause harm. Removal of such compounds will turn the water soft. This job is done by the water softeners.
There are different types of water softeners from which you can choose according to your need. One special type of water softener is the Salt-based water softener.
The Salt-Based Water Softener
Working of Salt-based water softener is simple. The hard water is found with many molecules of metal compounds namely Ca2+ and Mg2+. The salt – based water softener will add specific chemicals and elements in the water through carefully administered and precise manner using electro – chemical methods and create salts of these compounds. This process is referred as ‘ion exchange’. These salts are then easily replaced by few potential elements like sodium and chlorine. There are several benefits of using a salt – based water softener over the salt – free version. The best water softener will serve you with these qualities.
- Scale formation – Scaling is a process which will damage the water-based appliances and machinery due to the presence of minerals in the water. These minerals tend to get deposited on the wall of boilers and other applications and will eventually lead to degeneration in the boiler material. These salt-based water softeners do an excellent job of reducing the scale up.
- Heavy Duty Performance – The salt – based systems are designed for heavy-duty performance and do a fantastic job of removing the hardness. Some of the compounds are harder to remove, but the salt based systems will do the job nevertheless.
- The ‘Slick’ water – The soft water produced by such systems will have a ‘slick’ feeling, which will be noticed while using it to wash up. During bathing or washing, you will notice more bubbles and softer feel of our skin.
- Household cleaning – Using hard water for cleaning floor, glassware, or any appliances will leave some stain marks on the surface. The salt – based water softeners will produce water which will reduce the time to clean and polished surfaces.
- Clothing – As with your skin, you can notice the difference in the softness of clothes due to using water treated by salt-based water softener and the salt – free version.
Though there are several features of the salt-based water softener, this water is not recommended for drinking daily.